Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hello World?

So I whipped up the H-bridge motor driver I mentioned earlier that utilizes the fact that a full H-bridge motor driver can drive 2 motors (or one motor in two directions) and can drive up to 1 Amp.  The H-bridge is a really simple method of making a stepper driver, you just need one that allows more current.  



The second IC on the breadboard is a picaxe 08M that I already had hooked up for some other projects.  I just told it to trigger the motor to rotate clockwise for 10 seconds and then counterclockwise for another 10.  I used a ohmmeter to find the two wires coming out of the motor that had the largest resistance between then and assumed that these were hooked to either side of the internal coils.  These were then connected to the output leads of the H-bridge.  The resistance of the coils were about 6 ohms to I hooked the whole thing up to a 4.5 3xAA battery pack to keep the current under the 1 Amp max for the H-bridge.  When I ran the program the motor turned!  I tested all 4 and good news, they all worked!  I'll hopefully be scrapping some more photocopiers this coming week to look for some higher torque steppers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment