The final cartesian robot with the accompanying electronics enclosure. Most of the connecting wires were removed from this picture for a little cleaner look, but they are pretty easy to snap back on with the rear panel on the enclosure.
A backside shot of the machine with all the cables attached and my Mac running the show
A close-up of the electronics enclosure showing the estop switch and an optional input button for tool changes and things of that nature. There is one fan missing from the above pictures as it was somehow lost during the last week of the project and we couldn't find 2 other matching fans in town. The box houses the new a4983 stepper drivers and a beefy 30V power supply. It also has a custom breakout board for the Arduino Mega that allows all of the connections to the microcontroller to plugged in with ease.
A rear view of the enclosure showing all of the connections and inputs to the internal electronics. We have 7 stepper motor outputs for a single X motor, 2 Y motors, 2 Z motors, and 2 possible extruder motors. It also has a solid state relay for controlling an attached spindle and a nice panel mount USB connector for interfacing with the Arduino.
The project has been a lot of fun, and I would love to get some input from the community about some future ideas for this technology. There is a host of additional videos and pictures from the last few weeks that I may post sometime in the future, but for now I am out to celebrate the end of the semester and a successful end to my undergraduate career! Cheers!
Thing of beauty. Not just the machine but also your firmware, well done.
ReplyDeleteWhen is the next version of Hydra firmware going to be let out into the wild?
I am still trying to wrap up some loose ends in the 1.4 firmware, but I expect it to be done in the next week or so. I've already dreamed up some new ideas for 1.5 so It's about time I finalize the 1.4 release before I start work on those new features. I'm continually amazed at how far the firmware has come in just a semester and I hope it keeps improving with the feedback and suggestions from the community
ReplyDeleteClayton and the team... what a great project!
ReplyDeleteI build musical instruments in Florida using a Shopbot CNC machine and was browsing the web looking into building a small CNC for parts like bridges and nuts etc. and ran across reprap, makerbots, and your work. The multi-head capability sure opens up some great possibilities.
Just wanted to congratulate you on your progress and thank you for posting your process.
All the best,
David Beede
www.davidbeede.com