I was tempted to destroy the blinds in my apartment to steal the gears from those, but decided against it. The person who tried this before had printed gears from a working reprap machine so that was out. I set out to try to machine a set of working gears. First, I tried wooded disks. I tried sanding out little dimples for the beads to fit in. The problem with this is that if the dimples were not perfectly placed, the round balls on the chain would simply slip out of their holding place.
So onto the next idea, the gears for the reprap toothed belt are made using a mold made from the actual belt. I thought this might work for the beaded chain. I used some hot glue for the material and tried it out. The rig I used is below.
The problem was getting the chain out of the mold as, unlike the toothed belt, the hot glue could actually seep behind the chain the hold the beads in place. I used an exacto knife to cut away the portion holding the beads in place and ended up with a slightly useable gear. The main problem again was that the rounded beads had a tendency to slip out of their holes if I didn't cut away the exactly correct amount with the exacto knife (which I didn't).
So idea onto idea #3. I was looking around my pile of scrap materials looking for something I could fashion into a gear. I realized that the 5/16" nuts I was using were just the right diameter for the beads. I tried filing ridges into the nuts and even tried drilling little dimples into it. Both of these failed for the same reasons as above. If the dimple placement was not PERFECT the chain would not hold.
I had one more idea to try out. I cut several plastic disks from a plastic rod I had, a little over 1" diameter. I heated up the beaded chain with a heat gun until it was hot enough to melt the plastic. Then I wrapped the chain around the plastic disk and let it melt dimples into the disk. This way they would be perfectly spaced because they were made by the chain itself. The end result worked fairly well and if I hadn't of gotten a tip from one of my friends about some free bike chain (see future post) I probably would have ended up using this. A picture of all of my attempts is below
No comments:
Post a Comment