I also got my package from Fry's on the same day. I ordered a autoranging multimeter to replace my cheap $3 one I had been using . It was only $30 and even includes capacitance and temperature sensing with the included thermocouple. Here's the link to the product page https://shop1.frys.com/product/5160976?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG). I wanted to get one with a temperature sensor so I could start work on my extruder while I wait for my thermocouple IC to arrive in the mail. Apparently, the shipping from Digikey is not as fast :)
But the UPS man wasn't done with me yet. I also got my 1lb spool of 1/8" ABS plastic welding rod in from McMaster (part# 7889A85). I had called Donna at New Image Plastics to see about getting a 5lb spool, as that used to be the minimum order quantity, but due to what they were working on at the moment she told me they could only do orders of 10lbs or more which was wayyy more than I wanted to spend at the moment until I can get this thing working and justify the costs to myself. So here's a pic of the welding rod with something for size reference.
It actually appears to be slightly under 1/8" outer diameter. It fits easily into the 3mm heater barrel I have from the rrrf store and also has a good amount of room in the 1/8" hole I bored out of my 5/16" rods. This should provide others with a decent alternative to the huge quantities that New Image sells if they are just needing a small amount to get their machine calibrated. The end price was just a hair over $20 with shipping. Not as good as New Image's prices, but I didn't have to shell out $80 for a gigantic coil (not saying I won't do that in the future though).
So with everything finally here I can continue working on my stepper motor drivers as well as start work on the ABS extruder head. More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment