Friday, April 3, 2009

Electronics Board Completed: It all fit!

So after a couple weeks of messing with everything, I finally have my electronics board completed.  Everything on the board works as intended, it is now only a matter of getting the Arduino firmware and host software to communicate and interact correctly.  



Here is a overview of the board.  

Top left:  L7805 Voltage Regulator.  I ran into some problems with the Arduino and the thermocouple circuit not being able to communicate correctly.  Further investigation showed that whenever the motors moved, there was huge spikes in the temperature that the Arduino passed through to the host software.  Because of this a voltage regulator was used to regulate the relatively steady 12V output down to a constant 5V source for the Arduino and Thermocouple IC's to operate on.  All of the motors are being driven off the unregulated 5V outputs which left the 12V rail free for this purpose.  

Top middle:  I/O patch board.  The slew of twisted red cabling that you see there represents the outputs to the 4 different motors that are on the machine.  Above those there are the 3 endstop inputs and also the heater and fans.  The twisted red cables were made by connecting 6 long strands of stranded 22 gauge wire between the motor and a 6 pin header.  Then I hooked the header up to a DC motor and held the other end taught.  I powered the DC motor and let if twist the cables as it turned.  Ended up providing some really easy to use cables that were pretty cheap too!

Top right:  Z axis motor driver.  This, along with all the other motor drivers, is based on the stepgenie stepper driver IC (stepgenie.com).  There are 4 high power MOSFETs attached to the stepgenie that allow for the high current draw.  

Bottom middle:  3 more stepper driver circuits for the X, Y, and extruder motors.  Note that each one needed a decoupling cap to help protect it from voltage spikes.  

Bottom right:  Thermocouple circuit.  This is pretty simple, but the chip was a good $12!  Good thing it works well now that I have it's voltage regulated.  

Very bottom:  Cooling fan.  I noticed some of the MOSFETs heating up after running the board for a long time.  I figured a little active cooling couldn't hurt.  

Far right:  Arduino microcontroller.  Communicates via a USB connecting to the host software running on the computer.  It handles all the inputs and outputs between the host software and the electronics board.  

Here is a shot with everything hooked up.  If all goes well I should have some prints coming soon!  


No comments:

Post a Comment